Town of Mayerthorpe is pleased to release for public review and comment, new revised documents for the Town’s Land Use Planning Framework.

The Land Use Bylaw and Municipal Development Plan may be viewed at the Town Office, or through an inquiry to

 follow the links below!AqfASnx7zO-FhF4kyRk7hlWmMcTd     Land Use Bylaw No. 1066 DRAFT!AqfASnx7zO-FhF8uxIbtGCJovYFm        Municipal Development Plan Bylaw No. 1067 DRAFT

An Open House will be held on May 8, 2017 from 1:30 - 4:30 to allow for in-person discussion.

Please direct comments to Mr. Richard Neufeld, the Town Planner, at the above e-mail address or 780-965-7561, 1-877-587-4252.




You can download and print the following forms:

Please drop off the completed forms at the Town Office.

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. Do I require a development permit for a garage?

Yes, you do require a development permit if the garage is over 100 feet2 or 9.3 m2. To download a brochure with setback requirements for a: detached garage click here, for an attached garage click here.

2. Do I need a permit for a deck?

Not if the deck is less than 2.0 feet or 0.61 m in height.

3. I want to build or move a shed or accessory building onto my property do I need a permit?

A garden or tool shed in the rear yard of a residential parcel that is less than 100.0 feet2 or 9.3 m2 in floor area and less than 8.2 feet in height does notrequire a development permit. The shed still needs to meet setback requirements which are: no closer to the front street than the closest portion of the principal building; a minimum of 6.56 feet or 2.0 m from the principal building; the exterior wall of the accessory building is at least 3.28 feet or 1.0 m from the side and rear boundaries of the parcel; no roof overhang shall be within 1.0 foot or 0.3 m of the side and rear property boundary.

4. Do I need a permit to build a fence?

Any fence over 2.0 feet or 0.61 m requires a development permit. To download a brochure with more information about fence height restrictions click here.

5. I want to renovate my house do I need a development permit?

If the renovations include structural alterations or additions then yes you require a development permit.

6. What is site coverage?

Site coverage is the amount of your property that is covered by any surface other than landscaping. This includes all hard surfacing (bricks, asphalt or concrete), the dwelling, garage, accessory buildings, decks, hot tubs, etc. The amount of allowable coverage varies for residential, commercial and industrial districts. You can look up the coverage in the Land Use Bylaw Part VIII link below.

7. What is a Certificate of Conformance?

A Certificate of Conformance verifies that the property meets the requirements of the current Land Use Bylaw and can be obtained from the Town Office. Lawyers, banks or a person purchasing a property may request a Certificate of Conformance to ensure that there are no outstanding issues with the property.

8. Do I require a permit for a fire pit?

You do not require a permit if the fire pit meets all the regulations as established in The Town of Mayerthorpe Burning Bylaw 954. To apply for a permit contact the Town Office.

9. Who is responsible for the maintenance of Highway 22 through Mayerthorpe?

The Government of Alberta contracts out to maintain this highway.

10. What is a Real Property Report, an easement and a right-of way?

You can download brochures on these three topics as well as others from the Alberta Land Surveyors' Association website.