Town Services

Why does the grader plow windrows on each side of gravel roads in Town?

The driving surface of gravel roads in Town are typically 9m’s (30′) wide, everything on each side of the driving surface is boulevard to property line. Boulevards are designed for green space, trees, and stock piling of snow in the winter. Boulevards are not for parking of vehicles. Why does the Town use boulevards for stockpiling of snow? To save in costly snow removal. Over time, many boulevards in Town have been parked on causing damage, increasing cost of maintenance, increasing complaints about this area being muddy (boulevards are dirt not gravel), and decreasing surface drainage performance. What is the Town doing about this? The Town adopted the Boulevard Redevelopment Policy in 2010 to re-established 9m gravel driving surfaces with 2% grade to edges for improved drainage (see typical design below), replaced over mature trees, replaced sidewalks, seeding of grass on boulevards. A recent example of this work is 53rd Street at 46th & 47th Ave. Why do this? To reduce maintenance costs (9m wide driving surface versus 20m to 30m), to improve drainage and road performance, to restore green space, to replace sidewalks, to protect new sidewalks from damage from vehicles parking on them. What can residents do to help maintain redeveloped boulevards? Avoid parking on the new boulevards, avoid putting vehicle tires in the drainage ditch, and try to park on private property rather than on the street when possible.

Snow Windrow Removal Program

Council has approved Policy V-003 Snow Windrow Removal to provide a program for seniors and those physically challenged who qualify in removal of snow windrows.  Snow Windrow is the snow that is left at a driveway after the grader has cleared the municipal road.

This policy is for individuals residing in their home with restricted mobility or medical conditions, where a doctor’s note is required.  Individuals must not share the residence with an able bodied person(s). Registrants in this category will also need to sign a declaration stating that no able-bodied person under the age of 65 is living at the residence.

Program yearly registration deadline the third Friday in October of each calendar year. One-time yearly fee of $125.00 + GST applies.

For more information or a copy of Policy V-003 please contact the Town Office.


The Town of Mayerthorpe compost site opens annually on May 1 annually and closes for the season on the last operational day in October. 

Hours of Operation*:
Tuesday & Thursdays from 12:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Saturdays from 10:00 – 4:00 p.m.
*Hours of operation are subject to adverse weather conditions.

To purchase Compost please contact the Town Office.

Cost: $20.00 per yard
(1 Loader Bucket is 2yds.)

The recommended mixture is 1″ Compost to 8″ of Dirt.

The site is located at the Southeast corner of town, east of Elmer Elson Elementary School.  Questions?  Contact the Town Office at (780) 786-2416.

Compost Policy V-014 May 2018

Mayerthorpe Public Library

The beautifully renovated Mayerthorpe Public Library is located in the basement of the Town Office at 4911 Denny Hay Drive (52 Street).

Hours of Operation:
Monday from 10:00 p.m. – 5:00p.m.
Tuesday from 2:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday from 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Thursday from 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Friday from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Public Library Annual Membership Fees:
Family – $15.00
Adult – $8.00
Student – $4.00

Questions?  Contact the Mayerthorpe Public Library at (780) 786-2404.


Recycling is picked up from residences every second Friday. 

Please have your blue bags put out at the back alley right beside your waste bins by 7:00 a.m.  Collect paper and thin cardboard in a bag together (newspaper, magazines, phone books, catalogues, cereal boxes, office paper and pasta boxes, etc.).  Place containers in a different bag (milk jugs/cartons, tin food cans, glass food jars, rigid plastic containers, refundable beverage containers, etc.).  Corrugated cardboard should be collapsed flat and placed beneath the blue bag or bundled together and placed beside the blue bag.  Please collapse all boxes and rinse all containers.

2020 Recycle Schedule

Questions? Contact Green For Life at (780) 778-4888.

Residential utilities services are provided within the Town of Mayerthorpe as follows:

Water and Bulk Water Accounts

Setting up a Utility Account

If you are just moving into a home there are a few things you need to do when setting up a utilities account. First, phone or visit the Town Administration Office (780-786-2416). The Utilities Department will need your name, phone numbers, move in date, and whether or not you own or rent.

Utility Fee Schedule

–       Water Minimum Charge (Consumption up to 9 cubic metres (2000 gallons)) : $24.19/month

–     The rate per 4.5 cubic metres (1000 gallons) over the minimum will be set as follows:

9.01 cubic metres to 45 cubic metres – $6.26

45.01 cubic metres to 225 cubic metres – $14.70

225.01 cubic metres and over – $21.00

–       Sewer Service Charge (Consumption up to 9 cubic metres (2000 gallons)): $12.35/month. After          minimum consumption is reached the rate is $5.54 per every 4.5 cubic metres (1000 gallons) used.

–       Water, Sewer and Storm Sewer Infrastructure replacement rates are based on land use classification per the Town’s Land Use Bylaw.

–       Waste Collection $17.50/month.

–       Recycling Fee $3.00/month.

Billing Procedures

Every residence has its own water meter, and as such are individually billed.  Monthly water and sewer charges are based on consumption.  So the more water you consume, the higher your utility charge. Try your best to conserve water to save yourself some money.

Each month you will receive a bill and payments are required on your utility account once every month. The Town Administration Office accepts cash, cheque and interac payments. Bank, internet, telebank payments are also accepted.

Great News!  You can sign up for pre authorized debit on your Utility Bill.  The from was mailed out  with the September Utility Bill.  If you wish to sign up, Town of Mayerthorpe requires that the completed form be faxed, emailed or brought in prior to the current bill going out.  You can also access the Direct Debit Utility Bill Agreement/ Authorization form.

Town Utility Bills Available via E-Mail

If you would like to receive your utility bill via email, please fill out the attached form and return it to the Town Office.

Client Email Information Form

If the total balance is not paid by the due date, a 5.0% penalty is applied. Late payments will result in an arrears letter to remind you that your account is overdue. If the account is not paid within 14 days of this letter being mailed, your water service may be disconnected. If the water is disconnected, there is an automatic $50.00 reconnection fee.

Returned payments are charged an additional $37.50.

Moving Out

Please inform the Utility Department in advance when you are moving out of your residence so that staff can be scheduled to take a final water meter reading on your last day in your home. A forwarding address will be needed so that we can send your final bill.

Bulk Water

The Town of Mayerthorpe has a bulk water filling station located at the Water Treatment Plant.  All new and renewed accounts are subject to a $50.00 non-refundable set up and a 15% administration fee.  The rate for bulk water is $6.50 per cubic metre and the account is billed monthly.  Any un-paid account which remains in arrears for a period of more than 60 days shall be subject to suspension.  Any re-activation of an un-paid account after payment of overdue funds will be subject to a $100.00 non-refundable re-activation fee.

Please contact our Utility Department at (780)786-2416 or for further information.

UCA Helps, is an interactive resource that is helping consumers, especially vulnerable Albertans, make informed choices about their electricity and natural gas services. The website is mobile and tablet responsive and includes an interactive Cost Comparison Tool, list of energy retailers and searchable database that displays historic energy rates. It also includes contact information for their mediation team.

Visit to compare electricity and gas prices in your area, view historical rates, or get help resolving utility related issues.

Energy Rates .  We are Alberta-based and Canada’s largest unbiased energy review website and list all retailer electricity and natural gas options for each deregulated Canadian market. Rate Comparison Tool (

Epcor at 310-4300
Just Energy Electric Page:

Natural Gas
Atco Gas Ltd. at 1-888-511-7550
Just Energy Natural Gas Page:

Phone & High Speed Internet
Telus at 1-800-361-3311
Eastlink at 1-888-345-1111 Residential Services
Eastlink at 1-877-813-1727 Business Services

Vonage Phone Services

Residential Waste Pick Up

Waste is picked up from residences every Friday.

Please have your bags put out in the back alley in your bins by 7:00 a.m. Maximum of six regular green garbage bags will be picked up per week.  If you are a business and you have more than six regular size garbage bags a week you are required to rent a bin. 

Questions?  Contact Green For Life at (780) 778-4888.

Highway 43 East Waste Commission – Main Landfill

7km West on Hwy 43 from Hwy 33 Junction

Open Monday – Saturday – 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.


Water FAQ's

The Town of Mayerthorpe is the proud recipient of a 2012 Innovator Communities Award from the Alberta Urban Municipalities Association for applying innovative technology to upgrade sanitary sewer infrastructure.

The Town of Mayerthorpe is pleased to boast a new, state-of-the-art Water Treatment Plant facility and Sewer Lift Station.  Water for the community is obtained from five wells. We have a reservoir capacity of 4,055 cubic metres.  The sewage is treated in a lagoon system with four short and three long detention ponds.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)

How do I know that my water is safe to drink?
What affects the quality of Mayerthorpe’s water sources?
What is Manganese?
What is Iron?
What is Calcium?
What is the standards which govern the allowable levels of manganese, iron, and calcium in drinking water?
Are there health concerns about manganese in our drinking water?
What kind of testing is done to ensure my drinking water is safe?
How can I be sure my drinking water is tested regularly?
How do I know that Mayerthorpe’s water treatment facility is in compliance with the conditions of its approval?
What is filtration and how does it help make source water safe to drink?
What is disinfection?
Why does my water smell like a swimming pool?
Can Albertans view the data collected by water treatment facility operators?
How will I know if my drinking water becomes unsafe?
What is the greatest threat to my drinking water?
Is the operation of my treatment facility regulated?
Do qualified personnel operate my water treatment plant?
What are Alberta’s drinking water standards and legislation?
What does compliance mean?
What is Mayerthorpe doing to improve the overall water quality?
What should I do if my water is discolored?
What should I do if my laundry has been stained by discolored water?

What should I do to improve the life span of my appliances that use municipal water?

What should I check for after a water main break?


How do I know that my water is safe to drink?

Effective treatment is paramount in ensuring that water is safe to drink. The Town’s water treatment facility operators, Alberta Environment and the Aspen Regional Health Authority each have a responsibility to ensure safe drinking water for Mayerthorpe. Facility operators are responsible for the day-to-day operation of treatment plants and must operate in accordance with the standards set out by Alberta Environment. Facility owners are required to report to Alberta Environment anytime they cannot meet their specified terms and conditions.  The Provincial Laboratory of Public Health (Microbiology) performs microbiological testing of drinking water samples taken by the system owner. Drinking water quality concerns are reported to and addressed by Regional Health Authorities.

What affects the quality of Mayerthorpe’s water sources?

Mayerthorpe’s drinking water comes from groundwater. Groundwater is further divided into two distinct types: shallow groundwater that can be impacted by surface water source and high quality groundwater. Shallow groundwater that can be impacted by surface water and is also referred to as groundwater under the influence or groundwater under the influence of surface water (GUI). To ensure that the health of Albertans is protected, this ground water under the influence is treated in the same manner as surface water because it contains microbiological or organic organisms. High quality groundwater is not subject to the same health related concerns and therefore does not require the same level of treatment.

Climatic events, such as rain or drought have the largest impact on groundwater quality. Periods of heavy rain or extended drought will affect water quality.  Groundwater can contain a high amount of naturally-occurring elements like manganese and iron.  Most of these elements are removed during treatment processes; however, can build up in the Town’s water distribution (mains) over time.

What is Manganese?

Manganese is a naturally-occurring element that can be found universally in the air, soil, and water.  It is an essential nutrient for humans and animals, with humans getting most of their manganese through food.  Manganese is found in many healthy foods, including nuts, beans, fruits, and leafy green vegetables.  Food contributes approximately 100 to 1,000 times more total manganese to our daily intake than drinking water does.  Test results suggest that manganese is the primary contributor to discolored water; however, iron also contributes to discolored water.

What is Iron?

Iron can be found in supplements and is a naturally-occurring element that can be found universally in the air, soil, and water.  Iron can also come from deposits in the distribution pipes, which primarily originate from iron water mains.  It is an essential nutrient for humans and animals, with humans getting most of their iron through food.  Iron in drinking water may affect the taste and color of the water, but is not easily absorbed into the body.

What is Calcium?

Calcium occurs in water naturally. Calcium is an important determinant of water harness, and it also functions as a pH stabilizer, because of its buffering qualities. Calcium also gives water a better taste. Calcium is naturally present in water. It may dissolve from rocks such as limestone, marble, calcite, dolomite, gypsum, fluorite and apatite. Calcium is a determinant of water hardness, because it can be found in water as Ca2+ ions.  Calcium is a dietary requirement for all organisms apart from some insects and bacteria. Calcium carbonate is a building stone of skeletons of most marine organisms, and eye lenses.   Calcium is a dietary mineral that is present in the human body in amounts of about 1.2 kg. No other element is more abundant in the body.

What is the standards which govern the allowable levels of manganese and iron in drinking water?

The Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality do include aesthetic objectives for both iron, manganese, and calcium.  Aesthetic objectives are targets intended to minimize problems with the colour, taste or smell of the water. The Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water set an aesthetic objective for manganese of 0.05 mg/L and for iron of 0.3 mg/L.  Calcium has no guideline as there is no evidence of adverse affect to humans in drinking water; however, calcium contributes directly to water hardness.

Health Canada is currently in the process of reviewing the available evidence for health effects associated with manganese in drinking water.  Early indications suggest that a health based guideline for manganese will be developed. The World Health Organization (WHO) has set a health-based guideline level of 0.4mg/L based on average lifetime consumption.

Are there health concerns about manganese in our drinking water?

Although ingesting large quantities of iron in any form (ex: supplements) can be harmful, the concentrations of iron identified in Alberta’s drinking water (discoloured or otherwise) would not be expected to cause any health effects in the short or long term.

What kind of testing is done to ensure my drinking water is safe?

The Town’s water treatment operators regularly sample and test water, then analyze their data to know how effectively their treatment and distribution processes are working to provide safe drinking water. Physical parameters, such as turbidity, pH and colour are monitored.  Monitoring is also done on treated water before it enters the distribution system, and at random locations throughout the distribution system. This monitoring focuses on microbiological quality.

Testing includes health-based chemical parameters listed in the Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality published by Health Canada.

How can I be sure my drinking water is tested regularly?

The Town’s facility approval conditions outline the operational monitoring and reporting that is required of facility operators, and how frequently it must be done. Public access to the details in Approvals issued by Alberta Environment is available through the Authorization/Approval Viewer. The requirements for facilities operating under a Code of Practice is available at:

How do I know that Mayerthorpe’s water treatment facility is in compliance with the conditions of its approval?

Alberta Environment regularly checks facilities’ drinking water quality monitoring results against approved water quality guidelines. In addition, Alberta Environment conducts periodic inspections of water treatment facilities to ensure compliance with Approval conditions. When incidents of non-compliance are identified, the Department works directly with the drinking water facility to ensure safe drinking water and optimize facility performance.

What is filtration and how does it help make source water safe to drink?

Filtration is the process of physically removing suspended particles in water by passing it through a porous medium. Suspended particles of organic and inorganic matter cause surface water to appear cloudy. This cloudiness, or turbidity, is monitored prior to, and following, the filtration process.

Water treatment filtration systems include both chemical and physical processes. Pretreatment makes the particles in the water clump together so that they can be more readily settled and filtered out. Mechanical devices are used to continuously mix the water at the pretreatment stage so that all of the water gets treated prior to being filtered.

What is disinfection?

After source water has been filtered it must be disinfected to treat any bacteria, viruses and protozoa that did not get removed during filtration. A chlorine residual must also be maintained throughout the distribution system to keep treated water safe.

Chlorine is the most common disinfectant used in Alberta, although there are alternatives such as chloramines, ozone and ultraviolet radiation. Each type of disinfectant has advantages and disadvantages and is considered when designing a waterworks facility.

Why does my water smell like a swimming pool?

Chlorine is utilized to disinfect your water and keep it free from harmful microorganisms.  The levels of chlorine are harmless in the quantities used.   A small quantity of chlorine stays in the water after treatment to ensure that the water remains disinfected from the treatment facility to your tap. You may occasionally experience a slight smell or taste of chlorine coming from your tap water (the water is still safe). When outdoor temperatures fluctuate, chlorine can become more volatile. Other times, depending on the quality of the water supply coming from the groundwater, it may be necessary to adjust water treatment. This may include increasing the level of disinfectant to ensure your drinking water remains safe.

Residents can remove the taste and smell of chlorine by following these suggestions:

  • Fill an uncovered glass pitcher with water and place it in the refrigerator. Most of the chlorine will dissipate, plus you’ll conserve water by not running your tap each time you fill a glass.
  • Bring your water to a rolling boil for five minutes and allow the water to cool.
  • Add a lemon slice or a few drops of lemon juice to a glass of drinking water.
  • Use a carbon filter.

Residents living close to the water treatment plant may experience the smell of chlorine more so that residents living at the outer limits of the Town.

Can Albertans view the data collected by water treatment facility operators?

Alberta Environment posts electronic reports from Alberta’s approved water treatment facilities on its website. Data most important to drinking water quality, such as turbidity, microbiological quality, and disinfectant residual can be viewed at.


How will I know if my drinking water becomes unsafe?

The Regional Health Authorities are mandated through the Regional Health Authority Act to protect the health of the community and to prevent disease. They work closely with treatment operators and Alberta Environment in monitoring the status of drinking water, and are responsible for issuing boil water advisories or boil water orders when situations warrant such action. When this does happen, consumers should follow the recommendations provided by their Regional Health Authority with respect to the procedure for boiling water prior to consumption.

What is the greatest threat to my drinking water?

Microbiological contamination is the greatest threat to drinking water and ensuring adequate treatment is the best defense.

Is the operation of my treatment facility regulated?

Yes. All municipal waterworks facilities and distribution systems must have a specified number of certified operators. Alberta Environment administers the Water and Wastewater Operator Certification Program that offers a program of varied levels of operator certification based on the complexity of the treatment required.

Do qualified personnel operate my water treatment plant?

Yes. In Alberta, operators must fulfill the requirements of a certification process that includes education, experience, successful completion of examinations, and ongoing training.

What are Alberta’s drinking water standards and legislation?

Alberta has the authority to regulate the treatment of drinking water through the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, and regulations including the Potable Water Regulation. Under this legislation, water from regulated waterworks systems must meet Health Canada’s Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality. The Potable Water Regulation outlines requirements such as the design, performance and operation of waterworks facilities. The Potable Water Regulation also requires all facilities to meet the Standards and Guidelines for Municipal Waterworks, Wastewater and Storm Drainage Systems.

What does compliance mean?

Compliance refers to the ability of the drinking water system to meet the terms and conditions of the approval or registration.

What is Mayerthorpe doing to improve the overall water quality?

Secured funding to drill and put into production a new water well.  This new water well will provide the Town with sufficient water supply enabling staff to complete annual water distribution (main) flushing program.

Cleaned and inspected the water reservoirs to remove any buildup of sediment in 2015.

Replacing cast iron water mains annually and by the end of 2017 it is anticipated that all cast iron water mains will have been eliminated.  Elimination of cast iron water mains will allow for increased water pressure, reduction in iron deposits, and reduction in water main breaks.

Modified existing treatment process to improve mineral reduction in the filtration process.

In 2016, a consultant is to complete a Water Distribution System Analysis to provide short and long term recommendations on enhancing Mayerthorpe’s water quality.

What should I do if my water is discolored?

It is recommended that you do not use discolored water for drinking, preparing food and beverages, or laundry.  This is recommended because discolored water does not taste, smell or look pleasant, and it can stain clothes.  Health officials do not recommend drinking discolored water but if small amounts are consumed, no harm is expected.

  • Turn on a COLD water tap and let the water run for a few minutes.  It is best to use a bathtub tap as there is no screen to trap any sediment.
  • If the water isn’t clear after a couple of minutes, turn off the tap, wait 30 minutes and try again.
  • If the water does not clear up after 3 hours, contact the Town Office.

What should I do if my laundry has been stained by discolored water?

If you notice rust or iron on clothes when taking them from the washer:

  • Don’t dry them in the dryer or rewash in hot water before treating the stains. Heat sets the stains and makes them difficult or impossible to remove.
  • Do not use chlorine bleach to attempt to remove rust stains. Chlorine will also make the stain permanent.
  • Rewash the clothes immediately in clear water with a heavy duty detergent.

What should I do to improve the life span of my appliances that use municipal water?

Some environmental effects of water hardness include hardening of domestic equipment, because high temperatures cause carbonate hardness. This may dramatically decrease the lifespan of equipment, and causes an increase of domestic waste.  Homeowners can greatly increase the life of their hot water tank by flushing the tank twice per year to remove mineral build up in the tank.  Homeowners can utilize water softeners where the primary water supply is hard, use bottled water where the appliance recommends use of bottled water.  Vinegar is an affordable product that can assist in descaling appliances.

What should I check for after a watermain break?

The easiest way to flush a home’s plumbing lines is to open a large tap while all other taps remain closed. The bathtub(s) in a home are ideal for this task. Open the cold water valve in the bathtub. Listen for hissing and spitting, a sign that air remains in the line. Run the water until it is clear, and no additional air bubbles are released.

The bathtub’s tap provides the ideal solution for water main-induced problems. The tub faucet is much larger than those that serve the sinks, so it can discharge debris particles in the water line without getting clogged. Debris clogs in lines with smaller faucets can cause pressure problems that require you to clean out your faucet screens. Debris can clog water lines to other fixtures like toilets and sinks, as well as to appliances, boilers and water heaters.

Occasionally, a piece of debris is the system is large enough to close off a water supply pipe completely. If you have no water at all, contact the Town Office to see whether they’ve shut off the water to your home as part of the repair process. If they believe the water is on, you may need to contact a plumber to help you locate and remove the blockage.

Tax and Assessment

 Your assessment and tax notice covers the period from January 1 – December 31 of the current year.

2020 Property Tax Rates



Residential Manufactured Home in Park


Non-Residential Vacant

Machinery & Equipment

Municipal Tax Rate












Senior Foundation






Total Property Tax Rate






Property Taxes are calculated using the following formula:

            Assessed Property Value X Total Mill Rates/1000 = Annual Taxes

Despite the calculated tax rate, in accordance with Section 357, the minimum amount payable as property tax for general municipal purposes shall be $871.00 for Residential, Non-Residential, and Non-Residential Vacant properties.

Property Assessments

Property Assessments are completed annually to reflect current market values.  The Town’s Assessor evaluates properties based on a few variables. Including lot and home size.

If you do not agree with your assessment and wish to file a complaint, please be advised the deadline for filing an assessment complaint is July 24, 2020.

An appeal against your assessment does not exempt you from paying taxes on time or from late payment penalties.


Pursuant to Sections 299 and 300 of the Municipal Government Act, all assessed persons are entitled to see or receive sufficient information about the persons property or the summary of assessment.  All requests for information regarding the property or summary of assessment should be done by calling the Town Office.

Important Forms

Assessment Inquiry Form

Assessment Review Board Complaint Form

Assessment Complaints Agent Authorization Form

Withdrawal of Assessment Complaint Form

Withdrawal and Agreement to Correction of Assessment Complaint Form


Assessment Information for Residential Property Owners

For more information on assessment complaints and appeals please see

An Assessment Review Board has no jurisdiction to deal with complaints about assessments for linear or designated industrial property as the Municipal Government Board has jurisdiction to hear complaints about assessment for linear and designated industrial property.

  • A person is entitled to see or receive sufficient information about their assessed property in accordance with Section 299 of the Municipal Government Act or a summary of an assessment in accordance with Section 300 of the Municipal Government Act, or both.
  • To discuss or review the specifics of your assessed property value, please contact the Utility/Tax Clerk at the Town Office at 780-786-2416.
  • Town of Mayerthorpe’s Designated Officer is Karen St. Martin, with whom a complaint must be filed.
  • If, after a review of your inquiry has been complete and you are still of the opinion that your assessment is incorrect, you may file a completed Assessment Complaint the Town Office, on or before July 24, 2020 (60 days from the “Notice of Assessment Date”) to the Assessment Review Board. 
  • The Assessment Complaint Form must be filled out completely and the appropriate fee must accompany the Assessment Complaint Form.
  • Return the Form and fee(s) by the Appeal Deadline to:

Town of Mayerthorpe                   
Box 420, 4911 – 52 St.                   
Mayerthorpe, AB T0E 1N0      


Fax:     780-786-4590

  • The Assessment Appeal Fee is refundable if one or more of the following conditions are met:
  • The complaint is withdrawn in writing prior to the scheduling of an Assessment Review Board hearing; or
  • The Assessment Review Board decides in favor of the complainant.

Complaints with an incomplete Assessment Complaint Form, submitted after the deadline or without the required fee, are invalid.



Residential 3 or fewer and farmland


Residential 4 or more dwellings


       Assessed Value of up to $249,999


       Assessed Value of between $250,000 to $499,999


       Assessed Value that exceeds $500,000




      Assessed Value of up to $249,999


      Assessed Value of between $250,000 to $499,999


      Assessed Value that exceeds $500,000



Taxes are typically due on or before June 30 annually, unless June 30th falls on a statutory holiday or weekend, then the due date will be the next business day.  Please allow adequate mailing time to avoid late payment penalties.  



Due to COVID-19, the Town of Mayerthorpe has chosen to provide a deferral for payment of taxes.  Due Date has been deferred to September 30, 2020 at which time the 12% penalty for current taxes will be applied.  If you can pay your property taxes now, we encourage you to do so.  Property owners are strongly encouraged to immediately pass on the benefits of these tax deferrals to their business tenants.

In accordance with the Municipal Government Act, payments will be considered paid on time if received at the Town Office by 4:30 pm on the due date; postmarked by Canada Post on or before the due date; or processed by a financial institution on or before the due date. If a Canada Post postmark is absent or illegible, the date received by the Town of Mayerthorpe will be considered the payment date.  If your payment arrives after the due date, there will be a 12% payment late charge applied.


Property Tax Payments can be made:

  • **NEW** By Credit Card with PaySimply.  The Town of Mayerthorpe has partnered with ATB Financial and through their unique partnership with PaySimply, you can now pay your property taxes online, with your credit card, or debit cardfrom wherever you are, within minutes. Credit Card payments are completed safely and securely online through This secure, third-party Canadian payment provider accepts Visa, Mastercard and American Express. (A convenience fee applies to cover payment handling and processing charges.) Please allow up to 3 days for processing. 
  • In person – at the Town Office, Monday – Friday between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm.  Cash, cheque and interac are accepted methods of payment.
  • By mail – Town of Mayerthorpe, Box 420, Mayerthorpe, AB T0E 1N0.
  • By using the after-hours drop box – Payments made by cheque can be deposited in the drop box at the front entrance of the Town Office.
  • By post-dated cheque.
  • By your mortgage company – If your mortgage company is paying your taxes, the mortgage company will receive a report for your taxes, and you will receive the original tax notice for your records.  The tax notice will show the name of your mortgage company.  If the mortgage company does not appear on the notice and you believe it should, contact your mortgage company immediately.
  • By a financial institution.

Property owners are ultimately responsible for ensuring that property taxes are paid on time.  If you have chosen to pay your property taxes through a mortgage company or financial institution, it is recommended that you verify with them that your taxes will be paid in full, and on time.


The Tax Instalment Payment Plan is an easy way to pay your property taxes.  It allows you to pay your taxes in twelve monthly installments instead of a single large payment.  It makes budgeting easier and helps you avoid missed payments or late payment penalty charges.

Tax Instalment Payment Plan

Pre-Authorized Debit Form

To cancel your enrollment in the Tax Instalment Payment Plan, please complete the form below and hand it in to the Town Office.

Tax Instalment Cancellation Form



Complaint Form

Why does it take so long for the Town to respond to my complaint?
What is a reasonable time to have a complaint responded to?
How to file an official complaint?
What does the Town do once an official complaint is received?
When there are unofficial complaints vetted in coffee shops, on social media, etc. how does the Town respond?
How are unofficial complaints damaging to the community?
Who can be impacted by inaccurate information and negative imaging?
What effects does inaccurate information and negative imaging have on the community?
What can people of the community do to stop spreading inaccurate information and projecting negative imaging?

Why does it take so long for the Town to respond to my complaint?

There are a number of factors that are considered when responding to official public complaints.  Response depends on some of the following factors, but are not limited to just these factors:

– how many staff are available to respond, some departments have part time staff, volunteer staff, only one staff member, or other factors come into play (e.g. sickness, injury, time off, etc.);

– priority complaints that need to be responded to first (e.g., leaking fire hydrant, water main break, etc.);

– operational shut downs take priority over routine maintenance complaints (e.g. water treatment plant, lift station, pool, etc.);

– complaints receiving highest priority are complaints where there is high potential of injuries, claims, or potential for liability;

– time sensitive commitments (e.g., removing/installing dirt from arena, decommissioning of swimming pool, in house projects, etc.);

–  contractor availability (e.g., concrete work, heavy equipment work, etc.);

–  budget constraints (e.g., work may be put over to next year);

–  adverse weather conditions (e.g. seasonally higher precipitation, extreme weather, etc.).

What is a reasonable time to have a complaint responded to?

Many complaints can be resolved within a week or two, if not sooner.  Complaints that require law enforcement involvement, can take months to resolve, as legislative processes may be required to enforce a matter.  Complaints that require manpower, equipment, allocation of funding, or scheduling of third party contractors which takes time to schedule and budgetary considerations may come into play.

How to file an official complaint?

Please contact the Town Office directly or fill out the on line form as this is the only way an official complaint will be accepted.  Town elected officials and staff are directed to forward all complainants to the Town Office to file an official complaint.  Official complaints received directly at the Town are documented, sent to the applicable department for actioning, then categorized, analyzed, and reviewed by the Chief Administrative Officer.  An official complaint will require the documentation of the complainant’s name, specific details about the complaint, and necessary contact information.  If the complainant is unwilling to give this information, no official complaint is documented.  If the complaint is unfounded, unsubstantiated, frivolous, vexatious or made in bad faith, no further investigation will proceed.  The details of an official complaint are confidential and not released to the party being complained about; however, in some instances where a charge has been laid as a direct result of a complaint and the charge is appealed to the Court of Queen’s Bench, the complainant may be required to appear at Court to provide evidence if there is only eye witness’ evidence.  The Town takes every effort to gather additional sufficient evidence so that complainants are not required to appear at Court.  Very few complaints actually require a complainant to appear in Court to provide evidence in support of a charge. 

What does the Town do once an official complaint is received?

The Town must exercise due diligence, this could include inspecting a location, documenting the inspection, placing of signs, scheduling a contractor to complete the work, placement of barricades, ordering necessary supplies, forwarding the complaint to a facility operator, or to another entity responsible for the matter etc.  e.g. complaints specific to maintenance, sweeping, snow removal, line painting and condition of gravel or paved access aprons, streets, avenues, alleys, approaches off of 50th Street. Keep in mind that 45th Avenue, and 52nd Street which makeup Highway 22 are the responsibility of the Province.

When there are unofficial complaints vetted in coffee shops, on social media, etc. how does the Town respond?

Unofficial complaints are often unknown to Town Officials.  These complaints are not documented, and are not followed up by the Town.  The Town cannot address unofficial or official complaints whereby the complainant does not wish to have their information documented.  Unofficial complaints vetted on social media, in coffee shops, etc. often contain inaccurate information, can result in misinformation being shared, can lead to unfounded accusations/defamation, and can place individuals or parties in a liable position for which they may not wish to find themselves involved in.

How are unofficial complaints damaging to the community?

Unofficial complaints can result in inaccurate information and negative imaging being sent to the community, the region, the province, the nation, and the world.  This may send a damaging perception  of public facilities within the community, of the people who live in the community, and of the businesses that are offering services in the community.

Who can be impacted by inaccurate information and negative imaging?

People considering moving into the community, visitors and tourists considering stopping in the community, investors considering developing in the community, or that may be looking to purchase an existing businesses being offered in the community, industry that is looking to locate into the community and region, and organizations that are looking for centralized locations to host regional events and competitions in the community.

What effects does inaccurate information and negative imaging have on the community?

Misinformation can damage the overall economy of the community, can cost the municipality and tax payer money, time, and resources, can result in lost opportunities for new investment, new housing, new facilities, can result in slowing down and misallocation of resources.

What can people of the community do to stop spreading inaccurate information and projecting negative imaging?

Visit the Town Office and find out the facts, provide ideas and suggestions, file official complaints to ensure items are documented, seek information and gain a clear understanding of why the Town does things a certain way, become an ambassador (promoter) of the Town when speaking or communicating on social media,  help market the Town (public facilities, existing businesses, and opportunities)  in a positive manner, volunteer on committees, volunteer on operating societies, respond to surveys, give input at open houses, public hearings, consultations, and attend Coffee with Council. You could also contact Councillors and provide them with ideas and opportunities,  help Council establish priorities and goals for the community going forward, be a part of shaping the future of the community.  If you need more information on these items, please contact the Town Office.

Household Hazardous Waste Program

The Town of Mayerthorpe and County of Lac Ste. Anne participate in a recycling program with Alberta Recycling. This Program provides for three (3) bins, household hazardous waste, paint cans, and aerosol cans. The Town is no longer providing a hazardous waste round up, Town of Mayerthorpe and Lac Ste. Anne County residents can bring their items to the Town of Mayerthorpe Public Works Shop (5040 – 52 Street) all year round. Electronics are also be accepted. This Program is being offered to the Town of Mayerthorpe at no cost. For more information on this program please contact the Town Office.

Permitted Hazardous Waste


Newsletter Sign-Up